a) Achievement of goals (especially the ones that we have helped to set). Obviously, being unemployed is not a goal that we would want to have so it is a major factor influencing the level of self-esteem.
b) Visible evidence of power or influence. Being able to “make a difference” is important to all of us and, again, unemployment does not help.
c) Receiving recognition. It is important that individuals are given recognition for their actions or achievements but it is also very important to achieve self recognition too.
d) Acting in accordance with your values and beliefs.
If you have all four of these factors happening regularly, your level of self-esteem will always be high.
- If people ask you how you are, always answer “fantastic”, “really good” or something else that is far more positive than “OK” or “Not bad”.
- Be POSITIVE – you have a choice. Negativity is self-defeating and will never allow a win-win situation.
- Be PROACTIVE – “Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?” Take responsibility for your own destiny (career, health, finances).
- Be PARTICIPATORY – a team player. Cooperate, have a go at things you never did before.
- Be PRODUCTIVE – it means doing the right things (being effective, achieving results) and doing them right (being efficient).
- Be a PIONEER – think for yourself, be an individual.
They all add up to realizing your POTENTIAL.